It was in 1952 on “a sea-swept chunk of rock” at Roquebrune Cap-Martin, on the Mediterranean coast, that Le Corbusier built the Cabin, an exercise in style just 170 square feet in size. The miniature house built of pine logs, surrounded by eucalyptus trees and acanthus bushes, was a gift from the architect to his wife.
Sixty years on, a full-scale replica of the Cabin now stands on the second floor of Le Bon Marché. Reproductions of some of its original furnishings – a coat stand, desk, and stool – are on sale. Through June 23rd, an exhibition of photos and sketches tracing the history of this intricately designed log cabin is on show at the Passerelle de l’Appartement de Mode exhibition space.