The Accountant is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting, general ledger, fixed assets accounting, and accounts payable. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities. Working under the direction of the Accounting Manager, the Accountant will have contact with all the departments' VPs which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
- Oversee the daily accounting activities required to maintain the company's general ledger in all aspects.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Ensure completion and review of all post-close reconciliations (bank recs, FA, AR, AP, and all other main balance sheet account reconciliations). Ensure all balances are properly supported and documented.
- Assist the Accounting manager in the daily banking requirements.
- Ensure the monthly and quarterly Bank Compliance activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Manage the monthly intercompany reconciliation process.
- Assist in the invoicing of the landlord contribution for construction and renovation projects and monitor proper collection.
- Maintain organized set of detailed records and files to document financial transactions and all journal entries.
- Support budget and forecasting activities.
- Collaborate with the other finance department members to support overall department goals and objectives.
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy. Recommend and implement techniques to improve organization's productivity, increase efficiencies, cut costs, and maintain state-of-the-art techniques.
- Advise staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Respond to inquiries from the VP of Finance, Accounting Manager, and other finance and companywide managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Prepare for and ensure a clean and timely year end audit. Prepare reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Maintain accounting controls by establishing a chart of accounts; defining accounting policies and procedures. Maintain financial security by establishing internal controls. Avoid legal/audit challenges by understanding current and proposed legislation; enforcing accounting regulations; recommending new procedures.
- Establish administrative and financial systems process improvements.
- Keep abreast of current trends and practices in field of expertise.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Ensure that the company's management principles, policies, and programs are consistently practiced.
- Support Accounting Manager with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in financial reporting and general ledger area.
- Bachelors of Business Administration in Accounting and Management (BBA) preferred.
- Proficiency in Spanish.
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and IFRS.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Team player.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Knowledge of SAP or similar ERP, Retailpro, Datawarehouse a plus.
- Retail and/or Wholesale experience a plus.
- Strong computer skills. Highly proficient with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word.