Under the direction of the Merchandise Manager, provides the vision, leadership and creativity to strategically drive the respective department business at DFS. Meets financial targets for the category and brands. This position will be responsible for implementing key product development initiatives; recommending new products / initiatives based upon market trends; and managing assortments and assortment flow and transition. Negotiate with current and new vendors for the highest quality products at the most favorable price and delivery terms.
- Manages the business directly with support from the Merchandise Manager.
- Able to assume responsibility of the Merchandise Manger during his/her absence. Communicates and partners with other members of the worldwide team: Planning Managers, Product Sales Managers and Distributors.
- Working with the Merchandise Manager and vendors, develops and recommends new products that reflect the international and local markets, leverages current DFS strengths and creates new revenue generating opportunities.
- Sets key annual objectives for area of responsibility: Gross margin and profitability, Brand and assortment hurdle rates and assortment rationalization, presentation standards, and retail price differential to home markets. Takes an innovative look at the business and determines the best strategic approach in order to grow future business.
- Consistently analyzes sales, margin, new product performance and initiates strategies to respond to developing trends and improve profitability.
- Ensures that a high standard of visual presentation is maintained and product knowledge training is developed and communicated in a timely fashion.
- Applying both creativity and financial acumen, builds assortments that meet category/brand sales and margin requirements, and is suitable for all Divisions and key stores.
- Utilizes technical product knowledge and understanding of consumers' preferences to build appropriate assortments.
- Responsible for overall flow and transition of assortment inventory.
- Sets retails across all Divisions to ensure consistency, competitive posture, planned retail differential to Japan and selected domestic markets.
- Working closely with the Planning team, meets all merchandise sales and gross margin plans.
- Ensures that assortment and brand line-up meets category/brand merchandising plans for sales and profit.
- Manages expenses to established budget.
- Negotiates improved terms with brand vendors leveraging DFS buying power, ensuring that vendors meet DFS compliance requirements.
- Creates a partnership obtaining vendor commitment to providing quality products reflecting DFS' market image.
- Secures targeted IMU's trade and financial terms.
- Promotes a win/win relationship with vendors.
- Encourages and supports the development of our talented people. Offers honest and constructive feedback to direct reports and business partners fostering individual and group development.
- Is focused on self-development preparing for promotion to Merchandise Manager in two years.
- At least one year in an Associate level position for a department or specialty store.
- College degree or equivalent experience.
- International mobility, for career advancement opportunities, to San Francisco, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Singapore and other major Asia-Pacific cities.
- Ability to conduct international travel extensively.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a special sensitivity to working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to clearly articulate concepts and communicate across organizations at all levels.
- Proficient in Excel and other merchandise-related systems.
- Building Effective Teams
- Comfort Around Top Management
- Conflict Management
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Developing Direct Reports
- Directing Others
- Innovation Management
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Managing and Measuring Work
- Managing Vision and Purpose
- Presentation Skills
- Process Management
- Presentation Skills