This job contributes to company success through managing the Finance function for Australia; this includes monitoring the internal control system and securing the company's best financial interests. Ensure an excellent business partnership with the various departments and management.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee the preparation of all budgets, forecasts (revision 1, 2 and 3-year plan). Collect all necessary information and suggest recommendations.
- Monitor the finance management system and ensure proper budget control.
- In conjunction with General Manager, Retail Manager, Regional Finance and Merchandising, control overheads, manage discounts and margins.
- Provide financial and business support to the General Manager and to the Regional Business Planning Team over all decisions. Provide relevant analysis on business development, identifying risks and suggesting recommendations, eg new subsidiaries, store openings and closures in Australia.
- Prepare investment proposals and monitor investment plan performance over time.
- Produce commercial analysis information and follow up as required to give an accurate view of the operations.
- Advise and coach retail management team on business finance skills.
- Gather necessary information related to competition intelligence and business economic environment.
- Coordinate with suppliers to ensure synergies and cost effectiveness.
- Drive cost negotiations and cost reductions wherever possible.
- Where necessary, provide alignment between HR recommendations and financial impacts, eg commission and incentive scheme implementation advice.
- Nurture an effective relationship with various teams.
- Tertiary qualifications in Finance or Accounting
- Qualified accountant (preferably CA or CPA)
- Minimum 10 years' experience in the area of Finance, Accounting and Planning, with proven track record in financial management experience with MNC
- Familiar with local regulations for Retail and Importation operations
- Familiar with local taxation regulations and treasury management
- Industry experience in retail industry preferred
- Track record of handling local tax and legal matters
- Strong organisational skills, project management experience
- Strong business acumen
- Result oriented
- Excellent people and communication skills to effectively deal with personnel at all levels
- Flexible and able to work under pressure and handle uncertainty
- Problem solver and timely decision making
- Demonstrate ability to motivate and manage a team of finance professionals
- A second language is preferred (Cantonese, Mandarin, Italian or French)
Statutory Accounting and Reporting, Taxes, Treasury, Legal/Administration
- Responsible for the overall production of financial information. When some of it is provided by a third party (eg SSC for accounting), the Financial Controller must validate the end result.
- SSC in Hong Kong takes care of the actual book closing in line with market finance leader's requests and following Regional Business Planning schedule and recommendations.
- Ensure all the reporting requested by the Regional office within the deadline given.
- Review and validate monthly and annual financial statements produced by SSC.
- Ensure that the company's operations comply with all social, tax and legal regulations and provisions.
- Manage all investments/financing needs with the support of the Regional office.
- Assist to negotiate and manage the terms and conditions with banks and credit card organizations.
- Ensure that the daily cash reconciliation of the stores and monthly bank/credit card reconciliations are controlled in order to manage the cash flow.
- Maintain an updated follow up of corporate contractual/legal matters and ensure a proper insurance of company assets.
- Coordinate follow up of legal matters with the local lawyer and/or Regional office.
- Ensure that SSC manages properly tax and legal matter with tax offices and local authorities (ie customs, etc) are managed together with the relevant outside partners.
Control / System
- Implement relevant local/Regional procedures and controls and ensure that they are applied and followed.
- Improve systems, policies and procedures on an on-going basis and ensure proper documentation and implementation to cope with the objectives of the Company.
- Apply and/or implement recommendations arising from internal and external audits.
- Ensure the necessary adaptation of information systems to cope with the objectives of the subsidiaries.
- Design, implement and monitor disaster recovery plan.
- Oversee office administration where necessary.
Logistics, Warehouse & Stock management
- Control and manage inventory: organise rotating stocktakes, and monthly/quarterly inventory counts as required.
- Control and follow stock discrepancies, suggest and implement action plans.
- Participate in the definition of objectives and methods for stock management and in supply chain projects.
- Manage all administrative aspects arising from transport, customs clearance etc.
- Build and maintain an efficient and effective Finance Department equipped to meet all local and regional reporting requirements.
- Manage and monitor the performance of the team via regular evaluation of performance and timely feedback to ensure continuous improvement.
- Support the local/Regional HR Department to develop the team through the design of appropriate technical and practical training programmes.