The Design Manager will be an integral part of the DFS store planning and design team, responsible for the design management and design coordination of DFS Gallerias across both new developments and renovations.
The responsibility of the Design Manager is to assist the Director, Design Management in ensuring the Galleria store development programs are realized reflecting the group's strategic position as the leading global luxury travel retailer with innovative designs.
The position includes contributing to the development of innovative and creative solutions that are in-line with the strategic business goals and enhancement to the customer's shopping experience. This begins with assisting in the preparation of the project brief. The touch points of position include store planning, design and design management of our Interior Architecture, Space Planning, Fixture Design, Finishes and Lighting. DFS is also a LEED conscious company endeavoring to develop ecologically responsible solutions for our environments; therefore the Interior Design Manager will actively participate in ensuring that our consulting teams endeavor to provide such solutions.
Fundamental to this position is the continuous coordination and communications between DFS's outside design agencies and our Store Development Management team for the purpose of ensuring the project design process is seamless and to assist our consultancies in creating and documenting a successful retail developments.
As a part of the store planning effort, the Design Manager may interact with our internal Merchant Groups, Visual Merchandisers and Project Managers to communicate the projects progress and to capture and manage important two way project information.
- Has full functional participation in interior design efforts from planning stage to final completion.
- Assist in the responsibility for completion of assigned projects within scheduling guidelines.
- Organize and maintain design prototype standards, such as standard design details and furniture and fixture standards.
- Gather market intelligence regarding interior and design trends in the retail and hospitality industries.
- Liaise directly with internal Brand and Store Planners, Design Managers, Projects Managers, Merchant groups, and Visual Merchandisers as well as with outside Consulting teams to ensure smooth delivery of interior design projects.
- Liaise with internal and external contacts relevant to each project to ensure required approvals are received in a timely manner.
- Interact with team members to ensure maximized team and individual communication toward accomplishing project objectives.
- Reinforce and review the overall goals of the DFS environmental aesthetic, and be responsible to continually speak/present in support of those goals as well as project's budget and scheduling goals.
- Make necessary site visits and attend necessary meetings to gather/disseminate information and execute decisions.
- Organize and manage DFS Galleria Design Program Documentation and Design Standards.
- Other duties and projects as directed by the Senior Design Managers, VP of Brand and Store Planning and SVP Global Store Design and Construction
KEY COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Action Oriented
- Commercial/Retail Design Acumen
- Effective Team Interaction
- Good Negotiation Skills
- Process Management
- Conflict Management
- Customer Focus
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Drive for Results
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Managing Vision and Purpose
- Organizational Agility
- Political Savvy
- Strategic Agility
- Developing and Motivating Subordinates
- Presentation Skills (including hand drawing, sketching, PowerPoint and Photoshop)
- Hand Sketching and Design Documentation
- CAD documentation skills