MAIN JOB OBJECTIVE
The Manager, Packaging Development will support the company growth by developing and implementing innovative primary and secondary packaging. Reporting to the Director, Packaging Development, the Manager will work cross-functionally with many Global partners inclusive of Marketing, Product Development, Packaging Design and Operations. Additionally, the Manager, Packaging Development with be a key contact with outside packaging vendors; a critical element of the position.
With an excitement for sustainable packaging, the Manager, Packaging Development will have exceptional project management skills and constantly operate with a solution-oriented mindset.
- Execute the development and qualification of a wide range of primary and secondary packaging solutions that meet the needs for brand aesthetics, consumer use, manufacturing capability, quality and cost.
- Support the conceptualization, initiation, development, validation and implementation of new and improved packages and processes including: design generation, prototype development, engineering specifications, mold qualification, functionality and quality testing.
- Support Operations cost savings and efficiency initiatives, and quality investigations towards continuous improvement.
- Fully own technical milestones in project timelines
- Troubleshoot technical issues (supplier, plant, distribution, quality, etc.)
- Share and escalate roadblocks cross-functionally
- Create package component specifications, pre-Bills-of-Materials and Fill & Assembly specifications
- Collaborate with Marketing and Design on establishing feasibility for new packaging initiatives/concepts.
- Validate artwork based on mandatory technical elements and subsequently validate proof per released artwork.
- Ensure colors of packaging components meet Design and Marketing expectations and are within molding and decorating process constraints
- Understand and conduct package testing procedures and standards to support the effective design, validation, and implementation of new packages and packaging technology.
- Coordinate line trials to ensure package performance for manufacturing.
- Attend component and manufacturing startups as needed to ensure proper execution of design & function.
- Support and drive engineering change initiatives
- Drive sustainability initiatives
- Support and drive packaging consumer complaints and non-conformities to completion
- Contribute to organizational development through implementation of new processes and systems.
- Research new or emerging packaging trends and technologies.
What you will learn (and/or achieve) in the first 6 months:
- Understanding of the Fresh New Product Launch strategy
- Expertise in Fresh Packaging Development processes, tools and KPIs
- Knowledge of Fresh's packaging vendors and their capabilities
What you will achieve in 12 months:
- Build trusting relationships with cross-functional partners at all levels, both internal and external
- Manage projects with autonomy
- Engage in root cause / corrective action analysis and implementation of continuous improvement initiatives
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or a related technical discipline
- At least five years' experience in Packaging Development or Engineering within the Beauty/Cosmetics or Personal Care Industry
- Strong PC skills; MS Office, PowerPoint, Excel
- CAD software knowledge a plus
- Demonstrate broad and in-depth knowledge of packaging materials and processes.
- Knowledgeable of filling plant and contract manufacturing capabilities
- Self-motivated and self-disciplined individual, able to work in relative autonomy
- Good communication skills, to be able to deal effectively with all levels of the organization and suppliers
- Good organizational skills to manage the documentation, materials and information
- Ability to travel when required by strategic programs
Based in Jersey City, NJ