The Senior Assistant Merchandise Manager has full merchandising accountabilities for a segment of business. This segment could be defined by brand or by division. Accountabilities include developing and executing a strategy for a segment of business in support of the overall category/department strategy; responsible for assortment and promotional planning; and developing pricing strategies. Working in conjunction with the MM, the Sr. Assistant is responsible for vendor relations, cost negotiation and product development.
Develop Category and Assortment Strategy
- Develops and communicates an inspired vision and strategy for a segment of a department business.
- Formulates an assortment strategy that is consistent with overall business strategy.
- Defines and leads the development and execution of the key business drivers (key brands, items and stores).
- Working with the MM, monitors the proper execution of the merchandise strategy at the division and location level; takes appropriate action when necessary.
- Drives and executes the brands' floor space planning and allocation for all key locations.
- Works closely with the team partners specifically MM, Planner, Division Merchandise Manager and Distributor to ensure they are aligned with the merchandise strategy and executing appropriately.
- Evaluates performance ongoing with MM, brand partners, planning, division and distribution merchandising team and take action as appropriate.
- Works with the MM to determines seasonal transition strategies.
- Works with the MM to determines appropriate promotional strategies.
- Monitors performance on newly developed products, determines further opportunities based on results.
- Interprets trends appropriate to Japanese, Chinese and local consumers.
- Selects/deletes assortments as appropriate.
- Working with the MM, develops brand exclusives, promotional and sampling strategies.
- Delivers sales, gross margin and turnover goals for assigned business segment.
- Works closely with the MM, planning, division and distribution partners to develop and manage financial plans for the business segment.
- Encourages and supports the development of our talented people. Offers honest and constructive feedback to team members fostering individual development.
- Develops and maintains a formal plan for self-development and career advancement.
- Identifies and develops emerging brands for the core customers.
- Promotes a "win-win" approach with all key brand partners.
- Maximizes key brands value proposition for our customers by working closely with brands and communicating strategic customer needs.
- Develops assortment strategy for products that are exclusive to DFS or have limited distribution.
- Drives decision-making and problem solving on brand partner issues.
Division Partner Relations
- Develops and maintains effective working partnership with divisions particularly Division Merchandise Managers and Distributors.
- Business Acumen
- Customer Focus
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Problem solving
- Decision quality
- Presentation Skills
- Minimum of 1 year of merchandising experience in a buying office
- International mobility, for career advancement opportunities, to San Francisco, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Singapore and other major Asia-Pacific cities
- Commitment of 3 - 5 years career development with DFS