Kenzo has been infusing positive energy and contagious freedom for half a century by boldly proclaiming a polychrome, daring and borderless fashion that celebrates nature and cultural diversity. Founded in Paris in 1970 by Kenzo Takada, who opened his first boutique in Galerie Vivienne in Paris, the House continues to cultivate and reinterpret codes that make it unique with dynamic modernity: a mix of prints and harmony of refined colors and an exuberant and sophisticated creativity imbued with optimism and impertinence.
In September 2021 Kenzo embarked on a new chapter in its history with the naming of Nigo as the House’s new Artistic Director.
The history of 18 rue Vivienne, Kenzo’s current head office, is filled with sudden developments and famous owners. This now legendary address is located a short distance from the Galerie Vivienne that was home to the House’s first Parisian boutique in 1970. In 1640, Jacques Coquet, the treasurer of France and controller-general of finances for Paris, asked the architect Pierre Le Muet to build him a mansion with two wings, one looking out onto the street and the other between a courtyard and a garden.
Through exchanges, sales, division and inheritance, it passed from owner to owner, including the Marquis de Mallebois, Master of Requests and Colbert’s nephew, the Marquis de Fontenay-Trésigny, war minister under Louis XV, before becoming, in a fitting twist of fate, a House selling silk and wool. Shaped by time, 18 rue Vivienne today houses most of the Kenzo departments, including the studio, the workshop, the support functions and product development, and today powerfully embodies the House’s spirit.
- 122 stores around the world
- 525 employees around the world
- 28 different nationalities
Kenzo on social media
- Featured in @Fuckingyoung magazine, Gianmaria (written “gIANMARIA”) sporting a #KENZO Denim pieces from the FW22 co… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Plug into the KENZO Poppy vibe, part of the fourth and final capsule from @Nigoldeneye’s Spring Summer 2022 collect… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Stranger Things actor Joseph Quinn wearing KENZO Fall Winter 22 outfit at the premiere of the Netflix's series seas… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…