For half a century, Kenzo has been infusing positive energy and contagious freedom by claiming a polychrome, daring and borderless fashion that celebrates nature and cultural diversity.
Founded in Paris in 1970 by Kenzo Takada, who opened his first boutique in Galerie Vivienne, the House continues to cultivate and reinterpret with modernity the codes that make its uniqueness: the mix of prints, the harmony of refined colours and an exuberant and sophisticated creativity imbued with optimism and impertinence.
By appointing the Portuguese designer Felipe Oliveira Baptista to head its artistic direction, Kenzo instills a new dynamic and confirms the development of its potential. Driven by a creative vision combining aesthetic requirement and functionality, in line with the House’s DNA, Felipe Oliveira Baptista is defining a new chapter in the history of the brand, while respecting its unique heritage.
The history of 18 rue Vivienne, Kenzo’s current head office, is filled with sudden developments and famous owners. This now legendary address is located a short distance from the Galerie Vivienne that was home to the House’s first Parisian boutique in 1970. In 1640, Jacques Coquet, the treasurer of France and controller-general of finances for Paris, asked the architect Pierre Le Muet to build him a mansion with two wings, one looking out onto the street and the other between a courtyard and a garden.
Through exchanges, sales, division and inheritance, it passed from owner to owner, including the Marquis de Mallebois, Master of Requests and Colbert’s nephew, the Marquis de Fontenay-Trésigny, war minister under Louis XV, before becoming, in a fitting twist of fate, a House selling silk and wool. Shaped by time, 18 rue Vivienne today houses most of the Kenzo departments, including the studio, the workshop, the support functions and product development, and today powerfully embodies the House’s spirit.
- 122 stores around the world
- 525 employees around the world
- 28 different nationalities
Kenzo on social media
- HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR: Get ready for an action-packed 2020! KENZO wishes you a prosperous Year of the Rat.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- THE GREAT RACE: Outgoing, cheerful and sociable, the Rat leads the pack of intrepid Zodiac signs into adventures in… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Introducing the #KENZOKungFuRat, KENZO’s protagonist for the new year. Discover his action-packed adventures with t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…