LVMH and Harlem’s Fashion Row kick off New York Fashion Week with HFR’s 15th Annual Fashion Show & Style Awards
In a partnership to advance diversity, equity and inclusion in the fashion world, Harlem’s Fashion Row and LVMH North America celebrated the 15th anniversary of HFR’s Fashion Show & Style Awards (FSSA) on September 6 in New York.
Founded in 2017 by Brandice Daniel, Harlem’s Fashion Row is the premier agency creating a bridge between brands and designers of color in fashion through brand strategy, collaborations, new media, experiential marketing, recruiting, and pipeline programs.
Six LVMH Maisons – Moët Hennessy USA, Dior, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany & Co., Sephora and Benefit Cosmetics – contributed to the partnership and took part in the event on September 6, centered on the theme “Future’s Past”, underlining a shared belief that strength from the past drives the future forward.
The event featured the New York Fashion Week debut of three talented BIPOC designers from LVMH North America’s neighboring community of Harlem: Jonathan Hayden, Nicole Benefield and Clarence Ruth, and five Style Awards were presented. This new edition also featured the inaugural “Virgil Abloh Award presented by LVMH”, honoring the late founder of the Off-White streetwear brand and Louis Vuitton Men’s Artistic Director for his inestimable contribution to culture, creativity and innovation.
- The Virgil Abloh Award presented by LVMH was introduced by the late designer’s wife Shannon Abloh to actress, writer, producer and comedian Issa Rae.
- The Designer of the Year Award went to luxury womenswear designer Sergio Hudson.
- Fashion editor and Pulitzer Prize winner Robin Givhan was named Editor of the Year.
- Celebrity stylist Ade Samuel picked up the Stylist of the Year Award.
- Singer, composer and dancer Janet Jackson was named Icon of the Year.
Initiated in 2021 and officially introduced in June of this year, the partnership with Harlem’s Fashion Row aims to open doors to creative talents of color through events and collaborations. The initiative aligns with LVMH’s ongoing mission to support diversity and inclusion and to foster creativity and savoir-faire, pillars of the Group’s excellence and sustained success.