In line with the Group’s HR philosophy and commitment to recognizing the careers of artisans and preserving ancestral know-how, LVMH Métiers d’Excellence created the “Maestri d’Eccellenza Prize”, in collaboration with Fendi, Confartigianato Imprese, the Italian National Chamber of Fashion, and under the patronage of the Italian Ministry of Culture. The award ceremony revealing the winners of this first edition took place on September 19th, during the Milan Fashion Week, with key actors from the industry.
The LVMH Métiers d’Excellence “Maestri d’Eccellenza Prize” is an Italian never-seen-before craftsmanship competition, with the aim to raise awareness on rare savoir-faire and skills that must be preserved and passed on to future generations. The “Maestri d’Eccellenza Prize” celebrates artisans from all backgrounds across three categories: honoring experienced artisans who have distinguished themselves for the quality of their work throughout their whole career path; emerging artisans carrying a promising and ongoing project; as well as professionals that have distinguished themselves by their capacity for innovation, preserving historical knowledge and skills while reinterpreting them in a modern key.
· Master Craftsman of Excellence – Fabio Ottaviano
Fabio Ottaviano, master of the ancient art of cameo engraving, stands out internationally for the quality and variety of materials used, such as shell, mother of pearl and semi-precious stones. The process in realizing his products is entirely handmade. His creations reveal the perfect fusion of tradition and modernity. His style is characterized by multiform veils and transparencies;
· Emerging Master Craftsman of Excellence – Ilaria Soncini (Ilariusss)
Ilaria Soncini, milliner with the need to create new concepts of headgear and hand down the tradition of a manufacturing now increasingly rare, founded in 2013 Ilariusss, a reality in which his dreamlike mind meets a patient and meticulous craftsmanship, in addition to the desire to rediscover the artisanal tradition of the costume.
· Master of Innovation of Excellence – Verabuccia®
Francesca Nori and Fabrizio Moiani, duo of young Romans, founded in 2020 Verabuccia®, a brand that was born with the intention of rethinking the unused and inedible organic waste for human consumption, considering them no longer as waste but as resources. The innovative process patented by Francesca and Fabrizio allows a food by-product, such as pineapple peel, to become raw material for another sector.
Each one of them will be granted:
· €10,000 to be reinvested in their company
· Media exposure (print and digital)
· Mentoring sessions with experts from the Fendi Maison
The winners were selected by a jury of internal and external experts composed of:
· Toni Belloni, Group Managing Director, LVMH
· Chantal Gaemperle, Executive Vice President Human Resources and Synergies, LVMH
· Silvia Venturini Fendi, Artistic Director of Accessories and Menswear, Fendi
· Serge Brunschwig, CEO, Fendi
· Francesco Pellerano, WW Industrial Director, Fendi
· Marco Granelli, President, Confartigianato Imprese
· Moreno Vignolini, President of the Federazione Moda Nazionale, Confartigianato Imprese
· Carlo Capasa, President, Camera Nazionale della Moda Italiana
· Nicoletta Polla Mattiot, Editor in Chief, How To Spend It, 24Hours
· Francesca Pasquali, Artist and co-creator of the 2022 LVMH Métiers d’Excellence Artist/Artisan Collaboration
· Simona Iannini, Master Artisan and co-creator of the 2022 LVMH Métiers d’Excellence Artist/Artisan Collaboration
A special mention has been granted to Scarpelli Mosaici, who got the most votes from the public during the exhibition Artigianato e Palazzo held in Florence, where the LVMH Métiers d’Excellence presented the work of the Prize’s finalists.
Following the enthusiasm around this first edition, the “Maestri d’Eccellenza Prize” has already been renewed for a new season, this time with the participation of Maison Loro Piana.
Read the full press release here